Saturday, November 27, 2010

How do you define yourself?

Today, I was talking with some people about sunglasses.  This girl started telling everyone about her set and mentioned that they cost roughly $100 to which I replied, "that's ridiculous".  She looked at me with an astonished and puzzled look, maybe taking offense to my response thinking that I was insulting her ugly sunglasses when I was merely disgusted with how much she paid for them.  Personally, I paid $20 for my sunglasses, which is on the high end of my budget for sunglasses, and they work great....Keep the sun out of my eyes and everything.

I guess what I'm really getting at is what will outlive both me and you, capitalism and greed.  This idea that we need bigger, better, more expensive STUFF than everyone else.  So that people envy you and want what you have.

"I am convinced, that if all men were to live as simply as I then did, thieving and robbery would be unknown"
-Henry David Thoreau,  Walden

Extravagance in your life really means you aren't happy with what you were dealt, and if you can not be happy with yourself, how do expect someone else to be?

No comments:

Post a Comment